- the assertion that something exists or is true
- something that is affirmed; a statement or proposition that is declared to be true
- You’ll never be good enough
- You’ll never amount to anything
- You aren’t smart enough
- You aren’t pretty enough
- You don’t compare to the other kids
- Why can’t you be like…..**insert some other kids name here**
- You’re not popular
- Nobody likes you
- And on, and on, and on!
Those were (among others) some of the things I learned about myself from a very young age. And let’s face it….if it’s coming from people you trust, and you hear it enough, you begin to believe it. Learn it. Trust it. It becomes your story. And then everyone around you believes it, too!
Learning to change my mindset and get myself out of those ugly beliefs wasn’t an easy thing. I had been programmed well for over 30+ years! But I did it….and so can you.
The first step is being aware – very aware – of every single thought that finds its way to your mind and, if it’s a negative one, stop it in it’s tracks. I think the being aware part was the hardest for me. Most of my life has been spent working for myself in one way or another and that typically meant being alone for a good portion of the day……and if my mind wasn’t engaged actively in doing something……well, I could turn a mountain into a molehill in 5 seconds flat!
Start at the beginning. Concentrate on being very aware of your thoughts. Rome wasn’t built in a day and I’m not going to tell you this will be a breeze……but if you just pick ONE of my Confidence Affirmations below and and use it throughout your day – whether outloud, looking in a mirror, or silently to yourself when those ugly negative self-talk thoughts begin, you will start teaching yourself – and your mind – to just STOP! Stop and change your thought patterns. And don’t just wait for the ugly self-talk! Throughout your day, randomly give yourself some love!
Then, when you think you have a good hold on stopping your thought patterns, you can start adding more positive, confidence affirmations! Choosing from my list below or making your own. Building your confidence begins with just one step…..
- I am strong.
- I am stronger than ugly, negative thoughts.
- Today I will be positive.
- I deserve the compliments people give to me.
- I am smart, empowered, confident and capable of reaching my goals.
- I believe in myself.
- I own my uniqueness.
- I trust myself.
- I am not my mistakes.
- I choose happiness.
- I inhale confidence and exhale fear.
- I love myself.
- I am loved.
- I have nothing to prove to anyone.
- Obstacles are nothing more than challenges to overcome.
- I value myself.
- I am enough.
Because one believes in oneself, one doesn’t try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn’t need others’ approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her. – Lao Tzu
Let me know in the comments which affirmation you’ll choose to begin your confidence journey with me.